Tuesday, September 20, 2011

An image for humility

© 2011 Josh McCallister
 Humility
Watercolor on Canvas

























Here is a painting I've been thinking about making for several years. I am not ready to say it is finished yet...


I was thinking about something my grandfather said. He talked about financial success and an elite realm of private jets and power and luxury. He called it arrogance. I didn't expect him to use that word.
And I thought about humility - the opposite of arrogance. The sin of pride or arrogance is for individuals to commit, but also for cultures to commit.

My painting here shows Moses, an archetype of humility, and the "golden calf" of this nation. The bull is a symbol of aggression, power, confidence, market strength, domination - I could go on.
Please let me know what you think!

2 comments: