Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Maybe this blog should be about viewing art

Because I think (gifted) artists were given a gift for a reason, I want all people to view art! Knowing a lot of farmers and rural texans, I've got a good impression that the bulk of working folks in America are not savvy on things related to art. I remember taking a friend from Arkansas through an installation by another friend about ten years ago - at the end he asked, "Was that supposed to mean something?"

With my Josh McCallister Art facebook page I've tried to start a discussion asking who is looking at art made today. One of the first responses was, "Do you think 'normal' people know how to view art?": yes and no. People do know a bit about what they see. People are drawn to certain colors, shapes, icons, themes... But there are other things in the evolving realm of visual art that most people have not been educated about. And that's troubling me.

I'm not qualified to teach art history - maybe the humanities, or art appreciation. But this is a blog, not a class. I want a conversation here.

Here's an opening thought: Most art is made with one or two of three basic "ends" in mind;
The process itself,

J. Pollock

the viewer (and their interpretation),
B. Kruger
or the autonomous piece of art serving as its own reality.
M. Rothko
What sort of thoughts come up for you? Where should we go with this conversation? Which of the three motivators I've listed appeals to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment